laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Dinner Conversation

Me: I want to make friends with Sa Zhi'ang. He is clearly so great. And I haven't seen him in days, which makes me very watermelon.
Aijia: You mean sad. Anyway, what's the problem? Just say "Ni hao." It's easy.
Me: But HOW?!
Shuyi: You open your mouth. You say "Ni hao."
Me: I am too frightened.
Jiani: What are you frightened of? You're in Beijing.

I thought this was a very good point. Apart from being sent into outer space, there is really nothing scarier than going to Beijing. I should, by rights, never be afraid of anything ever again. Getting on a plane and flying around the world to a country where you don't speak the language and don't know the customs: scary. Knocking on a door: not scary.

Yeah, right.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Just because its scary, doesn't mean that it is not a good idea. Besides, you are very brave.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

'You don't speak the language and you're pasty white. And everyone else has a natural tan.'
Be brave, Em. I know you can do it. Don't be watermelon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home