laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Friday, February 03, 2006

Feichang Feichang Hao Day

Well, while you all have been sleeping, I have been having a very nice day indeed. I was a little less prepared for class than I could have been for irritating, not-entirely-my-fault reasons I won't get into, but on the whole classes went well. After class, I went to find my friends for lunch and found out that Aijia, who is a FABULOUS FRIEND, had invited Sa Zhi'ang to lunch (he's in her class). When Shuyi told me I was so excited I jumped in the air and rather startled her. In addition to Sa Zhi'ang, there were two males I hadn't met before, both fourth year students. They were extremely hilarious because they speak in these really deep voices. You really don't get to use the Chinese expression "Nan zi han" nearly often enough. My second-year textbook translated it as "He-man." Isn't that awesome? He-man.

So Sa Zhi'ang and his friends the Nan Zi Han and my friends and I all went to the Muslim restaurant for lunch. Zhi'ang is a vegetarian, and so is my friend Lili, and my very amusing friends announced that I was "half a vegetarian." They also kept grinning at me and making faces all through the meal because I was so obviously transfixed by Zhi'ang's prettiness. He was wearing a t-shirt with a complicated equation about juggling! And he had tucked it into his black jeans! Who wears black jeans!? It's 2006! And he was wearing white sneakers! And okay that's enough Aimei, get a grip!

After lunch, my friends and I went to the Silk Market. They mostly have boyfriends and needed to find presents for them. Like, presents, plural! So much work! And at the Silk Market you have to bargain, obviously, and it's kind of a bother. Lili helped me bargain the pretty skirt below to a very nice Y75, which is not quite $10. So that was pretty nifty. Did I need a skirt? No. But who doesn't love pretty skirts?

After the Silk Market we had Beijing duck for dinner, and that was pretty good although certainly not something I would want to eat every day. And then! Shuyi went with me to Zhi'ang's room! And left me there talking to him about math! For like 5 minutes before I lost my nerve and said "I do not want to bother you, goodbye" and bolted for the safety of Nina and Shuyi's room, where I bounced on the bed and was happy.

Not going out tonight as I'm rather tired and the Beijing rock'n'roll lifestyle is not exactly my cup of tea. Perhaps I'll watch a movie with Nina and Aijia. Tomorrow: The Forbidden City?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home