laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Friday, January 27, 2006

Xin Nian

Happy New Year, lovely readers. Well, kind of. Technically it's not New Years until Sunday, but Chinese New Year doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to ours. For one thing, it's been going on for days, if the loud BOOMS are any indication, and is expected to continue for awhile. Your word of the day: Fireworks, which are "yan(4) huo(3)." If you don't know what the numbers mean, feel free to ignore them, and slip it into conversation with a Chinese person. Just to see what happens.

We have a long tall weekend. I am so giddy with excitement I don't know what to do. Do I want to read a book? Watch a pirated DVD or an episode of Jeeves and Wooster? Go out for mushrooms, mutton and green beans (which I just did)? Go out to the bar district (in about two hours)? Buy pretty clothes (tomorrow or Sunday)? I can do ANYTHING. I have no homework! I don't have class until Thursday!

Excuse me while I breathe into a paper bag for awhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home