laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Roommate Politics

My roommate and I have some issues. It is nothing insurmountable; it's not so bad that I feel the need to painstakingly express my dissatisfaction in Chinese, but it is a little grating. For instance,
  • Her music makes me want to jump out the window. We only live on the first floor, so it's not as bad as it sounds, but still. Jump out the window, run over the basketball court, and not stop running till I get to Sichuan. Sidenote: the other day at my Chinese Host Family's house we were eating oranges, and the dad said "These oranges are really good, where are they from?" and the mom replied, "Sichuan." I cannot get over how weird that is. The oranges are from Sichuan! I thought all oranges came from Florida and California! Obviously that makes no sense, since I am in CHINA, but still. Sichuan! How exotic!
  • She speaks English all the time. Not just on the phone with her friends and family, which is allowed, but when her friends come over, they speak English! Why does this make me so furious? It really doesn't affect me at all, but I can't stand it.
  • Her friends are in the room all the time, which is fine, but on the rare occasions when one of my friends comes by, my roommate is really rude. One day Nina came by around 11:30 to see if I wanted to go get some lunch and my roommate told me to "please tell my friends not to knock early in the morning." Excuse me?
  • We have this subtle music warfare going on. She listens to music all the time, even when she's sleeping, and it's like a race to start playing the music, whoever loses has to use headphones. Sometimes I have been listening to music and paused it to use the bathroom (which is in our room, not down the hall or anything) and the second I close the bathroom door Toby Keith or something starts blaring and when I return it's headphone time for me.
  • Her attitude towards China irritates me. She hates the food, she thinks the city is filthy and disgusting (which it kind of is, but in a COOL way), and she seems to have no interest in work. She actually requested to be put in a lower level than the one she tested into so that she wouldn't have to work too much. Whereas I requested to be put in a higher level because I am a swottish weirdo.
However, turnabout is fair play, so in the interests of "balance":
  • My music is probably pretty irritating too. I'll take it into my head to listen to Stars' entire ouvre or Madeleine Peyroux's cover of "You're Going to Make Me Lonesome When You Go" on repeat, and even when I'm wearing headphones I tend to sort of sing along and dance in my chair.
  • I am addicted to sunflower seeds and so I periodically have to clean up sunflower seed shell debris from the area around my chair. It is like I am a parrot.
  • I tend to wake up much earlier than she does and although I make an effort to be quiet I do a certain amount of bustling around.
  • I sometimes call her a po xie under my breath, for example, "Zaijian, po xie."

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger Greg said...

You are right, she is wrong. It's so obvious.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

poe xie?
Lily (by the way, I'm using Mum's password and username to post comments.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home