laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Friday, January 27, 2006

Pure Girl

Since it is (still) Chinese New Year, my friends and I celebrated last night by going out as a huge group to San Li Tuanr, which is Beijing's laowai bar district. There's a bar called Pure Girl Bar which, my Gege informed me in drunken Chinglish, is definitely an ACC bar. In fact, everyone in the bar except the bar tenders were ACC students or their friends. It's a small bar, but still. The walls and furniture, and even ceiling were all covered with people's names and graffiti tags, and my Gege kept pointing out ACC signatures, of which there were several.

Pure Girl Bar is, according to the second-semester students, one of the cheapest bars in Beijing, and since it was New Year's the bartender treated the whole place to a round of Kamakazes, but alcohol is still rather expensive in Beijing (compared to, say, food). This is just as well, because for the most part people weren't getting terribly drunk, which is good because I do not enjoy drunkenness or drunken society. The music was decent and we danced and chatted in Chinese. It was very nice.

This afternoon Lili and I are going to the gym and maybe then to have some bubble tea. I'm enjoying going to the gym. It's funny, listening to the Format and running on the treadmill feels the same, whether the view from the window is Chaoyang or Paradise Pond.

It's been a week since I heard my real name spoken aloud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home