laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Sunday, February 05, 2006

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

I've listened to Madeleine Peyroux's cover of "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" about twenty times in the last two days, and I finally got around to looking up the lyrics. She is not, in fact, saying that her relationships have all been like "valets in Rambo." But isn't that a pleasant image? Jeeves being like, "I should recommend the M60, sir."

Well, it amused me.

It's snowing! This makes me ever so happy, from inside anyway. And it means that the ever-present basketball players outside my window are taking the morning off. I'd forgotten what it was like not waking up to the thud thud thud of rubber on asphalt. On the other hand, the constant basketball playing reminds me of my old room at home, when the boys next door would play long into the night.

I'm drinking my Nescafe and thinking up possible slogans for an ad campaign. "Nescafe: It's almost like coffee!" "Nescafe: When It's Too Early For Beer." "Nescafe: Much More Expensive Than Tea!"

I had a fairly pleasant, laid back weekend. Didn't go out, but did homework, watched a bizzare Korean movie with my friends, and read This Side of Paradise. Plus I was Very Brave and knocked on Zhi'ang's door all by myself and talked to him for like five minutes before panicking at the first lull in the conversation and bursting out with, "Okay, well, I don't want to horse you, bye!" and ran away, no doubt leaving him with the impression that I am a spaz. Also, "I don't want to horse you?" What on earth was I trying to say? Do I want to horse Sa Zhi'ang?

1 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

It seems I was spared the thudding of basketballs. Perhaps it's cause the Vogelsangs are older now. Then, too, the snow could have something to do with it.
Lily

 

Post a Comment

<< Home