laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Sunday, February 05, 2006

BEST CLASS EVER.

Oh my goodness I absolutely adore Li laoshi. Today's chapter is about single-parent families, and full of melodramatic vocab like "tears" "to fall" "face, cheek" "to throw oneself" "someone's embrace" etc. So we discussed that for awhile and he asked me about whether I thought Comrades (homosexuals) should be allowed to marry, etc, and then he asked about my parents' attitude towards my studies. I said that they were very involved and when I was younger they'd even arranged for me to have a math tutor. And then we started talking about math. And it was so awesome I could barely handle it.

Li laoshi told me about Chinese mathematical discoveries like pi and permutations, and he told me a story about horses to illustrate a Chinese paradox, and he told me a Chinese version of the lawyer paradox. After my family, I miss logic more than anything else. In fact, I would say that although I have retired the jersey for #1 Thing I Miss (my family), the next 10 or so things on the list are all logic. So you can imagine how exciting it was to finally get to talk logic with somebody besides my journal.

People who go abroad to countries where they speak less ridiculous languages get to take actual classes like literature and history and math, and I deeply envy them. I would take logic in Spanish. I would take it in a boat, I would take it with a goat. I would take it in Chinese, in a heartbeat, and if I only understood one out of every twenty words that one word would send me so high over the moon it would be absolutely worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home