laowai days

Tales of an American college girl in Beijing

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ou Aimei

I often think about my name. It was given to me by my Chinese professor at Buffalo State College when I was sixteen. When Chinese people introduce themselves, they often explain the meaning of the characters in their names. Mine generally goes like this: "The 'Ou' is from 'Europe'; the 'Ai' is from 'love'; the 'mei' is from plum." Europe love-plum. Interestingly, the "Ou" of Europe is also the "Ou" of "vomit" which would be an interesting way to introduce myself if I'm ever in the mood. Moreover, as my father recently pointed out, both P.G. Wodehouse and I are known as "Plum" which pleases me.

It's weird though, that this made up name is actually official now. I used it to sign my credit card receipt when I joined the gym. I believe it is on my visa, and I know it is on my letter from the Chinese university where I'm studying that allowed me to obtain a student visa. I am told it's on the file that the Chinese government now has for me. (I had a whole post about my thoughts on race in China, and it vanished. Invisible hand of the (REALLY AWESOME!) Chinese government at work? (This post is so going down next.))

Kep, bless her, sent me a recording of a logic problem, including several iterations of my real name, which made me very happy. Despite the fact that 85% of girls my age are named Emily, I love my name. I think it's really pretty. I don't care for "Aimei" as much; I think it's too cute. But it's my name now, in some sense. It's all rather confusing. How can "Ou" be my "family name" if no one in my family shares it? What sticks names to people? What's the difference between "Aimei" and "Emily"?

"... as if one believed that different people had to correspond to the word 'I' and the name 'Ludwig' because the concepts are different." (L.W., On Certainty)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home